Being a veterinary assistant is about more than playing with cute puppies and kittens. You’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in animals’ lives. You get to be the person who can help pets stay happy and healthy. In Carrington College’s Veterinary Assisting program, you’ll get the classroom education and hands-on experience you need. You’ll also complete an externship, giving you real-world experience before you graduate.Our program is built to give you the information and experience you need to be able to:
Gainful Employment Disclosures
Select from the dropdowns below to view the appropriate Gainful Employment disclosure.
9% growth from 2014-2024
(Much faster than average growth)1
Veterinary Hospitals and Clinics
About 9 months2
1. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition, Veterinary Assistants and Laboratory Animal Caretakers, on the Internet athttp://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/veterinary-assistants-and-laboratory-animal-caretakers.htm (visited April 7, 2016).
2. Not including breaks. Program length by weeks and admission requirements can be found here in the academic catalog.
Classes start as soon as April 17, 2017*
Which Locations Offer the Veterinary Assisting Program?
* For the Medical Assisting Hybrid program, the certificate is awarded from the Phoenix North Campus, but campus based courses are located at the Glendale Learning Center, an auxiliary learning site to the Phoenix North campus.
How Easy Will It Be to Get a Job as a Veterinary Assistant?
You love spending time with animals, but being a veterinary assistant goes way beyond that. It’s helping make sure those animals are healthy. No one can guarantee you’ll get a job, but your passion for animals will help you succeed as a veterinary assistant. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the opportunities for veterinary assistants and laboratory animal caretakers will continue to grow. In fact, it projects the addition of about 6,600 jobs for veterinary assistants between 2014 and 20241. There are some great reasons for this growth, including:
- Veterinarians need veterinary assistants to help with routine patient exams and front office work.
- The growing pet care industry means the number of veterinary assistant positions should continue to increase.
- As veterinary assistants further their education and careers to become veterinary technicians, more veterinary assistants will be needed to fill those roles3.
Where can you work as a Veterinary Assistant?
At Carrington College, we’ll teach you the skills you need to prepare for an entry level career as a veterinary assistant. With the knowledge you’ll gain through your education at Carrington College, you could work in many different places, including:
Veterinary Clinics and Hospitals
In a veterinary clinic or hospital, you’ll assist veterinarians in examining animals to figure out what’s wrong. You’ll also sterilize equipment and monitor animals recovering from surgery.
Prepare For a Career That Loves You Back.
- Obtain patient information and maintain medical records
- Collect laboratory specimens and aid in the analysis process
- Assist with diagnostic, medical and surgical procedures
- Help with radiography and dental prophylaxes
iPad mini™ in the Classroom4
Carrington College students can leave those heavy backpacks at home. Starting this year, we’re replacing books with an iPad mini™5. That iPad mini™ will be loaded up with the books needed for class, bringing technology into the classroom to enhance teaching and learning.
4. Apple is not a participant in or sponsor of this promotion.
5. Not available in all programs or at all locations.
How Does Carrington College Support Me As A Student?
We know college is a big step. But education can be the first step in building a better future. Your instructors, administrators and fellow students are there to help if you ever hit a bump in the road along the way. Carrington College offers a lot of great student support services designed to help you succeed, including:
From scholarships and grants to loans, we will help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid6.
Tutoring and Study Groups
For help with schoolwork, your instructors and Student Success Center staff are often available for tutoring or you can join in an open student study group.
Fixed Tuition Promise
How would you like to know what you’re going to pay, right from the beginning? We promise your tuition won’t change through the length of your program. It’s our commitment to you7.
Externships, Clinical Rotations and Fieldwork
Most programs include an opportunity to learn in the real world before you even graduate! You’ll earn impressive experience that looks great on your resume.
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.
Support Outside the Classroom
You’ll have access to a confidential8 service called ASPIRE. Specialists can help you work through personal problems, legal issues, childcare referrals, housing assistance or financial concerns.
6. Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
7. Fixed Tuition Promise is available for all Carrington College students who remain active and in good standing during the duration of their program. Students who withdraw or are withdrawn from school and are not reinstated within 180 days of their last date of attendance are subject to a tuition increase. Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.
8. All information shared with the ASPIRE program is strictly confidential unless the student consents otherwise or law requires.
COMPARE THE VALUE
There are a lot of factors to think about when choosing a college, and you want to make sure you’re asking the right questions. That’s why we’ve created this comparison chart, to help you do your homework about what’s included in the cost of your program.